https://www.opendoorsusa.org/prayerapp Praise: Falsely accused pastor home in Kazakhstan Friends, recently we asked you to join us in praying for Pastor Jakim*, who was arrested for missionary activity during Kazakhstan’s coronavirus quarantine. Local Christians believe the whole incident was a setup, intended to provide an excuse to arrest Jakim. Thankfully, we just received word that Jakim had his court hearing and only received a small fine, which he was able to pay. He is now back at home with his family! Thank God for delivering Pastor Jakim! Pray Jakim will be bold in sharing the gospel and spreading the love of Christ during the coronavirus pandemic. Pray what was meant to harm Jakim would instead bring glory to Christ! *Representative names and photos are sometimes used to protect identity.
https://www.opendoorsusa.org/prayerapp Nigeria: Miraculous outcomes in violent attack Friends, Pastor Bayo Famonure and his family were violently attacked by militant Fulani herdsman on May 5 in Nigeria. Bayo is well-known for his missionary and evangelical work throughout Africa. We thank the Lord for His miraculous protection of this family as the outcome of this attack could have been much worse. Bayo was shot in the head and feet, though the shots did not penetrate his skull or damage any bones in his feet. His wife Naomi was shot in the back, yet the bullet did not reach her spinal cord. The doctor said if the bullet had penetrated just a fraction more, Naomi would have been paralyzed. Their sons, Adua and Victor, also sustained gunshot wounds that were not very serious. In a message Bayo sent, he shared “It’s a miracle … Just praise God.” Bayo is stable and recovering with his sons. Naomi underwent successful surgery to remove the bullet from her back. She is currently in a stable condition and recovering. Please join us in thanking God for his protection, as this attack could have ended very differently. Pray this story would serve as a powerful testimony of the Lord’s protection. Pray for a quick and full recover for Bayo, Naomi, Adua and Victor, both physically and emotionally. Pictured: Pastor Bayo Famonure
https://www.opendoorsusa.org/prayerapp Christians suffer violence and hunger in Colombia Friends, Pastor Amanda*—longtime partner of Open Doors—shares that rebel groups are now harassing and threatening to kill anyone suspected of having coronavirus in some remote areas of Colombia. Churches are all closed due to coronavirus quarantine. Rebel groups are warning pastors to stay at home, telling them if they go out to preach or carry out any pastoral work, they may be killed. Pastors are also challenged by being in an area where electricity is scarce and there is limited access to the internet, making staying connected with their congregations difficult. Many in Pastor Amanda’s church are currently not working and are struggling. “The Church is going through a tough time,” she told Open Doors. “Many people in our congregation are now feeling the negative impact of having been out of work for weeks. Those with some savings will run out of money soon, and [a] few are relying on their crops to survive.” Most churches in Colombia rely on donations made by their congregations to not only maintain church buildings but also help feed the hungry, send children to school, and in many cases, provide housing for homeless or displaced families. Pastor Amanda says everyone in these areas are being stretched to the limit. “This situation cannot be sustained for much longer. Nowadays, it is easier to die from hunger or violence than from coronavirus.” Please join us in praying for provision for believers both physically and spiritually. Pray the church in Colombia would find creative ways to stay connected. Pray there would be an end to the violence perpetrated by rebel groups. *Representative names and photos are sometimes used to protect identity.
Second Corinthians 2
14. Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.
15. For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
16. To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?
17. For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
1. LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.
2. Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child.
3. Let Israel hope in the LORD from henceforth and for ever.
A sweet Mother’s Day Message.
1st John 5
5. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
6. This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
7. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
9. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
10. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
11. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
13. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
1st John 3
16. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17. But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18. My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19. And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
1st John 1
5. This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
2 Peter 3
3. Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4. And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
5. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
6. Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
7. But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
8. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.